The OTT platforms attract most internet users today. The OTT platforms have performed extremely well in recent years and raised the bar for entertainment. OTT platforms were popular during the covid-19 when most movie theatres closed. These online platforms are popular for their flexibility and quality content. Online platforms are rapidly becoming popular, prompting debate about OTT vs Theatre. OTT has no regulating authority that can censor inappropriate content streaming on online platforms. OTT platforms are so popular because they allow viewers to see things at a level that is acceptable.
For almost two years, theatres were closed. However, that isn’t the only reason people love the OTT platform. The audience isn’t happy with the recent art and craft cinema. The audience doesn’t want romantic dramas or VFX-filled fighting scenes. They want real cinema. OTT can easily fulfill this requirement. Let’s take a closer look at the OTT vs Theatre topic.
What is OTT?
OTT stands to represent “Over the Top”, which is the delivery of content via online services. To serve their content, content creators make use of popular streaming channels on the internet. There are many OTT platforms that are popular, including Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Stremio. OTT isn’t new. We have been using them for over a decade. However, during Covid, the industry saw a lot of user attraction. In addition to video streaming, audio streaming platforms such as Spotify and Saavan have also seen better results in the past few years.
The Theater and OTT Facts
- According to estimates, India country will have 1 billion OTT users by 2024.
- Viacom18 recently purchased the OTT streaming rights to IPL for 23,758 Crores.
- The OTT industry is expected to generate revenue of 20 Billion in 2020 and 31 billion in 2021. This industry is expected to earn more than 46 Billion dollars in 2022.
- Online gaming saw an 18% increase in traffic compared to the previous year.
- By 2022, the digital media market will be worth 424 billion rupees.
- Disney+hotstar, which has 29% of users, is the largest OTT platform.
- More than 53 million subscribers will be paying in 2022.
- Despite Covid’s efforts, the theatre market will reach 182 billion.
- The film industry is the largest entertainment industry in the entire world.
- Films like RRR and KGF2 brought the cinema to life and made a lot of money in 2022.
Why is OTT Good?
- The Ott platform is cheaper than the theatre. the average monthly subscription to the Ott platform costs between 149 and 199. In small cities, the price of a single ticket in a multiplex is 249/-. People found that ott was more cost-effective, and therefore more beneficial. Even you can easily find the apk version of many ott platforms like Stix apk and many more.
- Content is the king, and this is the universal truth. Over the years, ott has created content that is both relatable and extreme. It also makes it entertaining. Bollywood, on the other hand, is making old movies and poor copies of original content.
- OTT allows you to access the content from any location at any time. Professionals who work full-time and don’t have the time to watch movies or TV shows. They love it because they can access the content from anywhere at any time.
- OTT promotes promising actors, and most users want to see well-deserving actors.
- OTT offers a time advantage because it is shorter. A web series lasts on average 7-9 hours. On the other hand, a movie can take 2-3 hours. OTT is able to deliver content in a more detailed manner than theatre movies.
- Social media has made it easier to focus on the things that matter. People need to be entertained every minute. OTT gives the audience a thrill and keeps them interested all the way through the show.
Why is Theatre a Better Alternative to OTT?
- Recent movies have not been as good as RRR. KFG2 has proven that the theater is superior to OTT platforms. Because there are some films that you can only enjoy in theaters.
- The theatre gives you an immersive and different experience that is not possible with the OTT. Theatre has a large screen, great sound quality, and a unique atmosphere.
- The censor board, which is a regulating authority for theatres, is responsible for ensuring that the movie’s content is safe to watch. They will remove offensive scenes if they are not. On the other hand, OTT content creators often use abusive language and nudity and glorify crimes that could hurt sentiments. Tandav, a web series about lord Shiva, is being criticized as well.
- The future of entertainment is 3D and 5D movies. Having them at your home isn’t that interesting. That will be the main advantage for theatres in Theatre vs OTT.
- Many people, whether they are skilled or not, can find employment in the theatre. They can also indirectly earn their living by going to the theatre.
Also read: The Making of Marvel Movies: An Inside Look at the Studios
They are platforms where artists can share their content and entertain the audience. Although OTT has dominated the entertainment sector in recent years, it was also the case with other industries during Covid when digital platforms overtook traditional platforms. Yes, this is true. However, cinemas failed to deliver high-quality content and OTT continued doing so. We have now seen that movies that deliver quality content are loved by their audiences. The Theatre industry is huge and the OTT platform must do a lot to reach it. If they are to win the OTT vs. Theatre competition, online streaming platforms must deliver incredible content.
The best content-serving platform will win in the debate between OTT and theatre. While OTT delivers this beautifully, some content creators promote violence and nudity that will not be tolerated by a large audience. People will choose movies that cater to their preferences if they are easily understood by them. Because everyone has different tastes, choosing between them can be difficult.
What’s the difference between OTT Theater and Theater?
The OTT platform provides the content online through various streaming channels, while the theater uses an offline method. OTT platform charges a monthly or yearly subscription in various plans, while Theater charges a per-ticket fee to the audience.
Can OTT replace theaters?
Theaters are a huge industry and OTT is not able to replace them. Yes, OTT will have its place on the market but it won’t be able to replace the theaters.
Is OTT the future for cinema?
Yes, OTT will be able to present the content of cinemas in the future. While it won’t replace theatres in certain places, it will have an impact on the theatre market. The digital media market will surpass 1 trillion dollars by 2024.