QuickBooks error series 6000 is one of the critical error series that you can encounter while using the application. This can lead to hampering the data of your company file or may also affect your application. 6000 error series include a lot of QuickBooks error codes that a user can encounter while opening a company file. In this article, we have discussed one such error code, Quickbooks error code 6189 816. You will encounter this issue while trying to open the company file or while accessing it. This error usually occurs when you attempt to operate the file in multi-user mode. In case you have also encountered error code 6189, here are some quick fixes for you. Keep reading to know the causes and solutions of the issue.
What Leads to this Quickbooks Error
- The company file that you are trying to use is being used by some other application or service.
- Quickbooks application is not completely installed on the system.
- You may not have enough permissions to read or write a file.
- Registry related to Quickbooks application may be damaged.
- The transaction log file or network file is corrupted.
Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Error 6189
Here are some quick fixes for you that you can use to resolve the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816. All these fixes are tried and tested and will surely help you. Ensure that you follow each method in the same way as listed.
Fix 1: Using QuickBooks Tool Hub
- To start with, you will have to open the Intuit website and then look for the QuickBooks tool hub. When found, download it according to the operating system that you are using
- Next, you will have to open the folder in which you have saved your company file and then click on the file.
- You will now have to agree to all the terms and conditions and then follow all the instructions appearing on the screen to complete installing the software.
- When done, you will have to click on the icon of the tool and then open the tool.
- Now, choose the company file issues tab in the tool window.
- You will then have to click on the option to run QuickBooks file doctor on the system.
- When done, you will have to wait till the tool loads on the system.
- In the tool window, you will have to choose the company file that you have to scan on the system.
- After this, you will have to click on the diagnose option and then wait for the diagnose to complete. On completion, you will have to check if the issue is resolved.
Fix 2: Change the Name of ND and TLG File
ND and TLG files are the files that configure QuickBooks in a way that allows access to the files. If these files get corrupted or damaged, different issues can occur and QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 is one of them. So, renaming and Registering these files can help you resolve the issue. Here are all the steps that you need to follow.
- For this, you first need to look for the folder in which you have stored your Quickbooks company file.
- After this, look for open the folder and then look for the TLG and ND files. These files will have the same name as your company file.
- You will then have to click on the ND file and then change the name of the file by adding OLD at the end of the file’s name.
- Now, you will have to save the changes that you have made in the file. Repeat the same steps for TLG files.
- When done, you will have to again open Quickbooks on the system. Check if the Quickbooks error 6189 816 is resolved or not.
Fix 3: Starting Your System Again
Rebooting your system may help you resolve the issue to some extent. For this, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to start your server system again on which Quickbooks application is present and you have turned ON hosting.
- You will then have to start every workstation.
- When done, you will have to start Quickbooks on each system and check if the error persists.
Fix 4: Employ Database Server Manager
You must run Quickbooks database server manager on the system on which you are hosting the file. It may help you get rid of the issue to a certain extent.
- First, you will have to start the Quickbooks tool hub on the system. If not downloaded, download and install it on the system.
- In the tool hub, choose to run Quickbooks database server manager.
- When the tool will load, you will have to choose the start scan once button and choose the file that you wish to scan. You can also use the Browse option to choose the file.
- When done, you will have to close the tool window.
- Now, start Quickbooks on all your systems.
These were some troubleshooting methods that you can use to get rid of the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. All these methods are doable and will surely help you. Hopefully, the guide was beneficial for you.