As businesses become increasingly reliant on digital processes, the threat of cyber attack grows. Learn how IT support companies in London can effectively mitigate cyber threats with best practices, and stay ahead of evolving cyber threats and safeguard your business and client data.
Over the past decade, the digital landscape has flourished, with the average person – and the average business – spending more and more time online. Across all the major business hubs around the world, businesses are relying more and more on digital technologies; as a result, cyber threats are becoming a greater issue for all organisations – from the largest enterprise to the smallest trader. In London, IT companies are growing in popularity – through them, businesses can access the knowledge and expertise they need to stay protected.
Modern Cyber Threats
All the IT support companies London organisations use agree that cybersecurity is a number 1 priority – even for small and medium sized businesses – because there are many different cyber threats nowadays.. These threats pose significant risks to their operations, their data, and their client’s data. These threats include:
- Phishing Attacks – Criminals use deceptive and/or enticing messages to trick users into downloading malware, or handing over sensitive information.
- Ransomware – A form of malware that restricts access to a system, or data, and holds it ransom.
- Advanced Persistent Threats – When a group infiltrate a computer system and remain undetected whilst they steal data, or disrupt operations.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) – A form of attack designed to overwhelm a website or network with traffic; this typically causes the site or network to crash.
- Insider Threats – Abuse of access privileges by employers or other stakeholders – these threats can be driven by both malice and negligence.
The landscape of cyber threats is constantly evolving, with attackers devising new techniques and exploiting emerging vulnerabilities. By adopting these best practices, IT support companies in London can enhance their cybersecurity posture, minimize the risk of successful attacks, and ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of their clients’ data.
Best Practices for Cybersecurity
It is becoming progressively easier for the average business to access high-quality cybersecurity solutions. The trick is understanding the best practices of a secure company. For example, the IT support providers in London recommend a combination of technology and education to ensure that the entire organisation is maintaining a high level of security. Some of the key considerations for cybersecurity are as follows:
- Building a Secure Infrastructure
Every business should have a secure infrastructure set up; without this, their networks, systems, applications, and devices will be vulnerable. Some of the key aspects of building a robust infrastructure includes:
- Network Security Measures
- Encryption and Data Protection
- Regular System and Software Updates
- Backup and Disaster Recovery
By implementing these measures, companies in London can establish a secure infrastructure that strengthens their defences against cyber threats.
- Employee Training and Awareness
Educating employees – and all stakeholders in the business – about cyber threats and security best practices is paramount to a good cybersecurity strategy. The most secure businesses ensure that all stakeholders are undertaking regular training sessions, to keep the business’ overall security knowledge and understanding sharp. Common topics for employee training include:
- Common Cyber Threats
- Password Policies
- Recognizing and Reporting Phishing Attempts
- Social Engineering Awareness and Prevention
- Partnering with Security Experts
Working with an IT company that has expertise in cybersecurity can be a huge help for businesses. As professional IT companies have a great deal more specialised knowledge around security, they can support clients with filling the gaps and bolstering their current security. It is always a good idea for businesses to work with partners local to them. For example, if you are based in the North London area, working with a trusted provider of IT support in North London will be the most ideal option. IT security experts can give advice on the latest threats, industry best practices, and emerging technologies.